gb1gb2gb3

glass box house extension, calderstones

h_header

A significant intervention to an existing 1920's detached villa in Calderstones, this was the first project to be completed by Michael Cunningham Architects. Developed along north-south axis, generated from the view of a sculpture in the rear garden, a three metre structural cantilever creates a floating corner. Internal finishes continue externally and come together to blur the normal boundaries between inside and outside.

Featuring a secret-fix oak panelled wall containing storage areas and audio visual equipment, a clerestory window facing east to maximise the morning sun, and a Louis XIV fireplace with a secret chimney, this project required the manufacturing of the largest double gazed units produced at that time in the UK.

Since completion the clients have been delighted with the project, and have become firm supporters of the practice.

ba